MySmartPrice recently conducted a survey among visitors regarding the availability of warranty on products purchased online. With recent news of brands denying warranty on products online or discouraging buyers from buying online, we asked people how many were denied warranty. The pictograph below shows all the insights we gained from the responses of over 20000 users. Read further for more detail on the survey.
- Among the people who claim warranty on products bought online, 54% are denied warranty at least once. This often happens at the service centers run or supported by offline retailers.
- However, it is also important to note that only 1.54% of all people who buy online have the need to claim warranty. Online products thus are of reliable quality in general and any defects are purely statistical.
- The process of claiming warranty for a product online is usually completed within a week or two. However, for over 55% of claims the process takes more than a month to complete. This is usually because of the conflict between service centers and respective brands, or because of lack of service centers in the complainant’s location.
- The problem of claiming warranty is more pronounced in Rural India than Tier 2 and 3 Cities. Most of the Metro customers find it fairly easy to claim warranty and get support from brands.
- Some of the popular reasons for warranty being denied are the lack of a bill from retailer or a stamp of the retailer on the warranty book, or in some cases because the product is over a year old and as a result not eligible for warranty. In the case of old products it may be because products are considered “sold” to the merchants who sell them on the marketplace.
The survey was conducted by means of a popup on our website. The pop up ran for a period of 20 days. 50 lakh people were shown the popup. Over 20000 users responded to our survey. The survey was objective-based with questions pertaining to denial of warranty, need to claim warranty, and duration taken to claim the warranty. The objective survey was followed up with a telephonic survey for volunteers who were denied warranty to understand what the circumstances were. All quotes used in this survey are from real consumers with concerns.
MySmartPrice Free Extended Warranty offer
MySmartPrice is offering free extended Warranty on products bought from our Laptops Price section. We aim to help consumers address warranty issues and in days to come shall bring in more such initiatives to make online shopping more comfortable and less risky.